Merry Christmas everyone and a big thanks to Anthony Buckalew for providing these photo and document scans and the following information about his ancestors:
Category Archives: Genealogy
Here are a few paragraphs about Elijah Stapp and Nancy Shannon and family from a collection gathered by vawterfamily.org. Reminder: Margaret Vawter was the mother of Elijah Stapp.
Vol. 8 #2 page 10
From EDWARD M. STAPP, 109 S. Indianwood Ave., Broken Arrow, OK 74012 (New VVVFA Member)
Elijah Stapp was born in Orange County, VA 16 Oct. 1783, the first child of Achilles & Margaret (VAWTER) Stapp. Margaret (Peggy) Vawter was born 15 Oct. 1763 the daughter of David & Mary (Rucker) VAWTER. Achilles Stapp moved his family to Kentucky ca. 1790. Here Elijah met and married Nancy Shannon.
In 1816 Elijah Stapp moved to Missouri with his wife and two sons. While living there he heard stories of land and life in the Mexican Territory of Texas. In 1825 he went to look it over and in 1831 he moved with his wife and six children to Jackson Municipality, in the contract colony of Green C. DeWitt.
On 16 July 1831, he was given title to a “League of land. When the Mexican government closed Texas to further settlement of Americans he saw danger for the future.
When the Consultation Convention was called at Old Washington-on-the-Brazos for 1 March 1836, Elijah was asked to stand for election as a delegate and was elected. The Texas Declaration of Independence from Mexico was drafted with Elijah signing as a duly elected delegate. He was also selected by the convention as one of the “Committee of 26” to draft the constitution that governed the Republic of Texas from 1836 until Texas was admitted to the Union in 1856.
When peace returned after the battle of San Jacinto, Elijah Stapp returned to his home and was elected a Judge in Edna, Texas in 1839. He held this position until his death in March 1843. Elijah Stapp was buried on the old Russell Ward farm outside Edna, Texas. The actual gravesite is unknown, but the area is marked by a monument by the Texas Centennial Commission in 1936.